I saw this Miranda July video over on the always inspiring Bleubird blog. Her new movie, The Future, looks fantastic, just like her Me, You, and Everyone We Know. I can't wait to see it.
As simple as this video is, it made me think about my productivity. In all honesty, I am busy. If I'm being even more honest, I don't know what not being busy is like and even if I'd like it. Sometimes, being busy equates with being productive. In my case, being busy is more of a state of mind. It seems to rule my day, inhibiting me to actually get stuff done. I jump from thing to thing, rarely finish that first thing, and repeat the next day.
I'm taking steps to being more productive, using the "how to work better" graphic as inspiration. I've posted it before, but it's so true, why not be reminded of it!?
I've also been reading some great articles that also give some great tips on productivity, a lot from the freelance side of business. I believe it applies to most things, especialy when I do freelance for part of my day.
Here's one that I particularly enjoyed from Creative Boom Magazine - "How To Be A Happy Freelancer."
A great tool that I used when I was in college was the Pomodoro Technique. Check it out. It's the JAM for getting that last minute paper done quickly. I really need to use this more often!
With all that said. I'm going to be making a few changes once I finish up the projects I have going on currently. There is a great idea looming in my head that is just begging to get out. I can't get it out until I can focus fully and completely. Not that I don't love the projects that I'm working on, it's just that I am called to be doing bigger and grander things. Things that are amazing and bigger than I am, but being revealed to me daily by God. Sounds crazy, I know. But trust me, it's going to be a great ride.
I'm tired of being BUSY. I'm tired of my identity being found in the phrase, "oh just so busy." I want to be intentional with my time. I want to invest my time in people and art for the greater good. I want to live out my destiny that I'm called to.
It's going to be fun and exciting, but I'm only going to get there by being productive and intentional. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that faces this challenge. How do you turn busy into being productive? I'd love to hear your tips and tricks!
Here's to being on top of things! Cheers.

2 comments:
My best friend (also a photographer) loves the book "4 hour work week". I personally dont have to read it because she loves it so dang much she's practically receited the entire thing to me! Haha. But you should check it out! It's ALL about giving yourself enough time to live life not just work life.
I loved this, Shannon. You posted this at a really perfect time. I'm in the midst of reassessing and reprioritizing all my responsibilities into (more or less) scheduled chunks of time/days of the week. I'm on a quest to being truly intentional about everything I do, and make the absolute most of my time. :-)
Here's to new things for both of us!
Post a Comment