I was determined to have that picture perfect weekend, not to mention it would be a 3 day weekend BUT...wait for it... then I woke up Saturday with a sore throat and ear ache. Ideal weekend - out the window. This isn't the first time my amazing Fourth of July didn't go as I had planned. One year I was in the middle of a break up, one year I was traveling, a few I was sick... woe is me.
Anyways, despite the not feeling so well, I was still determined to make it count and put on a happy face.
Saturday, we celebrated my brother in law, Aaron's, birthday. I made my "famous" fresh Pesto Pasta Salad [recipe here] along with Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes since he and Scott love Reese's A LOT [recipe here]. Both dishes went great and were well received! Mom, I CAN cook and bake! We had a great time celebrating Aaron and playing Mexican Train. OH and we had Scott's mother's homemade ice cream - check that off the ideal list!
Sunday, we went to church, Scott went floating down the Kern river, while I relaxed at home with the above creature. We then went out to see the Shafter fireworks show... which was mediocre at best. It was still a great time due to the amazing company we had.
Monday, the 4th! We hung out with our nephews at their place. Scott and Aaron swam while I watched and attempted to get tan. (Didn't happen). I love watching Scott hang out with his nephews. It just makes my heart want to explode! So precious.
For the pool party, I attempted to make chocolate dipped strawberries that showed some patriotic pride! They were incredibly easy and so delicious. Later on, we went to a shindig that a country club in town put on. It was incredibly hot, but still a lot of fun. Great food and the fireworks were ignited within eyesight. Best (and longest!) show ever. AAAHHMAZING.
Despite my ideal fourth of july not going according to plan, it was one of the best so far. It's hard to compete with the one Scott and I spent in Seattle watching fireworks by the Space Needle over Lake Union. Anyway, it's a great reminder for me to stop expecting every holiday or three day weekend to be amazing but to strive to enjoy every moment.
How was your fourth? I hope it was fantastic! :)




1 comment:
It sounds like you had a really good 4th of July, despite being sick.. :)
Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog! I really appreciate you stopping by!
xoxo from Germany,
Vanessa
Post a Comment