The tale of "Anchor" is quite a story. First off, Anchor is Garden Community Church's college age group that started up last month. It's all about worship, teaching and community. It's the real deal if you're looking for a college group to get involved with in Bakersfield.
Scott and I were asked to be apart of the leadership for the launch of the event. One of the first meetings, we threw around some names for the group. Nobody was sold on anything that was said, and my best idea was already taken by another art place in town. We decided to think about it over the week and talk through it the coming meeting. During that week, I started to work on some ideas using that other name, just to show the "look" I wanted to go for - masculine, clean, and with a vintage touch. As I was working on it, I began praying that a name would come to mind, one that would work for the group. Right after that, the word "anchor" popped up on my screen. I thought that it might be an awesome name, and i just sat there and thought and prayed over it. Really God? That's pretty sweet. I thought it was a very interesting vision to go along with the vision of the group and was going to share it at our next meeting.
Fast forward to our next meeting. During worship, several people started talking about our group being grounded and it being a place that is a foundation for college students in what is a turbulent time of keeping faith and belief. I then shared about my vision. It was like everyone was thinking that, but didn't have the word to describe it. And thus, the name Anchor became a reality.
The group has been going for just about a month now. It's been so well received and everyone is pumped about it. Every week, we transfer the main church into an intimate space, full of vintage tables, candle light, and old Bibles stacked up.
If you're in Bakersfield, and of college age, come check it out. You'll really love it.

No comments:
Post a Comment